Sophie Wise Dip.Couns. PGDip.Sup. MNCS Accred.
I have always had a fascination with psychology and mental health, which came into my previous work in family law followed by events management. As soon as I had the opportunity I signed up for an ‘introduction to counselling’ short course and knew this was what I was meant to be doing.
I really enjoyed my training and during this time I had personal counselling, unfolding my past, my present and my future, and found a new way of being. I came to really understand myself and found a new trust and confidence that has enabled me to offer this to everyone I work with.
I believe that at the heart of counselling is the all-important relationship between counsellor and client and I strive to nurture this relationship of trust and honesty.
I provide a warm and compassionate approach and work collaboratively with people to enable them to understand themselves and make their own choices. I’ve done extensive work with trauma and abuse, PTSD and complex PTSD and have much experience of working with individuals on their relationships (with partners, family, friends and colleagues), helping them to make small changes that can make big differences to the dynamics of the relationship. I work a lot with anxiety, particularly in the difficult times so many of us have experienced in recent years, and I help people with many other issues going on in their lives.
“The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change” Carl Rogers
I really enjoy my work as a Supervisor working with both qualified counsellors and counsellors in-training. I believe a relationship of mutual trust and respect between supervisor and supervisee is all-important to the work. Together we take a deep dive into your client work, looking at it through different lenses, and the aspects that you and your clients bring into sessions. I remain open to sharing my experience whilst respecting your experience, knowledge and ways of working.
Qualifications and Membership
- Level 7 Advanced Diploma in Counselling Supervision
- Level 5 Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Diploma in Couples Counselling
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Accredited Registrant of the National Counselling Society (NCS)
- I abide by the NCS Code of Ethics and the BACP Ethical Framework
- I have an enhanced DBS Certificate
- I am a member of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
- I keep my skills and knowledge up to date by attending continuing professional development (CPD) courses and workshops, reading, and through discussion and learning with professional counsellors and supervisors.